Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Young Atheist on Humanism

This is a paragraph from Jen McCreight on her Blag Hag blog:

"Why keep atheism as the label, then? Well, for one, the atheist movement is the one I most associate with, and progressive atheists interested in social justice are already a growing group within the atheist movement. It seemed natural to focus my efforts there. But also, “atheist” is still seen as a dirty, confrontational word, while “humanism” is often a softer way to dodge the drama…since most people don’t really know what humanism means. Trust me, I used to use the label “secular humanist” a lot when I lived in Indiana and was too scared to out myself. No one had a clue what it meant and never wanted to appear stupid by asking me to explain. But now I want to keep using the word atheist until it becomes destigmatized."

Jen was talking about why she wanted to create a new label Atheist+ in prior posts. It was obvious to me that secular humanist was a good label for what she wanted to do. I had documented the substantial decline in the use of humanism and secular humanism in our language with numerous WASHline articles. Note what she is saying here:

“since most people don’t really know what humanism means.”

“No one had a clue what it (humanism) meant and never wanted to appear stupid by asking me to explain.”

This is an authentic report of the views of a younger secular woman. It accurately reflects the consciousness of her generation. The implications for WASH are obvious.

No comments: