Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Nellie Gray -- RIP (?)

by Edd Doerr

The Washington Post on Aug 15 ran an obituary for Nellie Gray, the dare of whose death was not mentioned. Gray was the main organizer of the annual Jan 22 "March for Life" at the Supreme Court to protest Roe v Wade. Following is the comment I posted in the Post on line ---

"As someone who debated Nellie Gray more than once, I must say that I admired her tenacity.  However,  I must add that it is sad and tragic that this woman spent decades working to deny women freedom of religion and freedom of conscience, that she expended so much effort to have government impose on all women a malicious medieval misogynist morality akin to slavery. The suffering she caused countless women is beyond calculation. Nellie Gray betrayed all women and undermined the basic freedom of religion of all Americans. Pathetic.

"Edd Doerr, President, Americans for Religious Liberty, arlinc.org"


I well remember my last debate with her several years ago before an audience of Jewish high school students. She stupidly threw at the students the Catholic bishops outdated arguments against reproductive choice. I won the debate  hands down, as I usually do.

Incidentally, ARL has just joined an amicus curiae brief to the 9th Circuit of Appeals in a defense of the Washington  State law requiring all pharmacies to provide emergency contraception medications. Other religious groups joining Planned Parenthood and ARL in the brief include Catholics for Choice, an admirable Washington-based organization of pro-choice Catholics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that while you took the opportunity of the death of this woman (never let a tragedy go to waste) to take a victory lap for your debate victory, you didn’t provide us with a link to hear firsthand how you beat this octogenarian. Especially since, as you said “(you) won the debate hands down, as I usually do” you should have this available in your greatest hits.

Edd.Doerr said...

The debates were before HS students and not recorded. I have published widely on reproductive choice and really do not need snarky "anonymous" responses. I put my name on what I write.