As part of Aron Porter's Eulogy for his father George W. Porter, co-founder of WASH, he listed the 10 Porter Laws. In the spirit of Martha C. Nussbaum's
- At any given moment, 90% of the people in the world are goofing off.
- At least half the work accomplished is ultimately undone.
- Nobody really knows what the hell is going on.
- Assumption is the mother of disaster.
- What a person gets and what a person deserves are two different things.
- The garbage always needs taking out.
- Unusual weather is quite common.
- Exaggeration is the body of wit.
- There is no simple life; you can only hope for interesting complications.
- There is always one more thing.
It is a blessed thing that in every age some one has had the individuality enough and courage enough to stand by his own convictions.